Tuesday, August 9, 2011

No Straight Lines; AA in Afghanistan

I believe there are no straight lines in Afghanistan. Apart from, perhaps, the runways of military installations, nothing goes straight for long here. It becomes apparent as soon as you arrive. Buildings aren't in neat rows as I'm accustomed. They angle and jut and careen around the mountainsides of Kabul. In true primitive manner most of the structures of age are built of mud-brick--adobe as I know it. Almost by definition they rarely rise above two stories. All are added onto as necessities arise. Never in straight lines. In the market what sidewalks there are rise and fall almost as if they "grew" there. They weave and undulate under one's feet. No straight lines. And the traffic, a subject on which I have already held forth (see: Traffic and Turquoise Mountain); no straight lines. Consequently the pedestrians, whether on sidewalk or street, must execute broken-field running the likes of which would put any NFL'er to shame. No straight lines!

Within a week of my advent in Kabul I checked the internet for the listing of international AA meetings. I found one here. I made contact with the individual facilitating the meeting and made arrangements to attend. Alas, I was thwarted in my first attempt due to some glitches in security protocol. Having ironed out  those wrinkles I made it to the next meeting the following week. A driver took me to the UNAMA compound where I was passed through security.

At the guard shack I met Scott. After the pleasantries were exchanged we began to walk onto the base. Ahead I saw hundreds of yards of level, unbroken pavement. A straight line that seemed to go on forever! I experienced a sense of release I can only liken to that of a prisoner set free upon completing a jail term. Freedom!!! I could walk at a brisk pace, unimpeded for the first time in weeks. A straight line.

Scott is an old hand at this "international" stuff. He's done the government thing and now is in humanitarian endeavors. We have somewhat similar geographic backgrounds. We traded "war stories" on our jaunt to the meeting room. He told me of being in-country for some months this time and only receiving one other inquiry from his internet posting. We had a reading and discussion and a very good meeting. Afterward we went to a small nearby restaraunt  on base and enjoyed freshly made pizza and more good conversation. It was good to get out. I took away not only serenity from that meeting but a sense of general good will knowing that AA members are truly active in sobriety all around the world. And I'm going back this week for more.

Next: More on Chicken Street

No comments:

Post a Comment