Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Progress and Training In Chicken Street

I've been sick. Again. This is the second bout with "The Aztec Two-Step". I had a go-round with altitude sickness in between. My friend told me I would be. (She knows who she is.)  "Just forget about it. You're gonna get sick, everybody does. Flies go everywhere." So, it's taken several extra days to get this post up. Forgive me. However, in my delirium on Saturday, the TV fairies did charge the satellite card and make my borrowed set work! Ah, news...in English. Thanks, Staff! Shout out to Alison!!!

What  will become my bench
(note the "hot-wired" A/C, now
properly wired and vented at left)

Early in the planning for this project it occurred to me to inquire in which era of history the craftsmen for the training would be working. Would it be Neolithic? Bronze Age? Iron Age?. How I would approach structuring the lessons would depend on the answer. I was assured that it would be Iron Age. But barely in the electrical age. The equipment I've come to rely on in my studio just doesn't work here. It's tough to teach modern techniques without modern tools. Part of the problem was breakdown of communication between the procurement people in-country and the U.S. supplier. Even though in the first talks I had I was persuaded by the company that they routinely ship abroad and knew the local systems requirements. They dropped the ball. Procurement didn't know to catch it. I'm screwed. All the stuff that needs plugged in came 110 volts. The power here is 220. I've tried several fixes to no avail. I know little more about electricity than AC/DC, 110v/220v and don't stick scissors in a wall outlet (I was three years old)! The handpieces blow fuses on the step-down transformers and run slowly with no umph. The buffer motor kicks off from an internal breaker after 7 minutes. ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!! I'm told there's a more powerful transformer (also more expensive) that will do the trick. We'll see...

Buffer-in-Progress
The Professionals
Gem Cutters in front
Jewelers, back right
Mujeeb, Professional Jeweler
at work
Anyhow, the training continues at Shams Market. So many new, inexperienced trainees showed up that I've had to split the group in two. And the schedule has changed so many times I don't even know who will come on a given day. I just show up and deal. Have I mentioned how chaotic this country is to outsiders? The good news is that the professionals, for whom the project was intended, have crossed a cultural divide and "complained", they weren't getting what was advertised. They then followed up by asking specifically for what they want to learn. A breakthrough! I can do that. So, we are going to do some fancy gem setting, beyond bezels and prongs. The men have asked to be shown flat setting, channel setting and pave' techniques. While I make a mean bezel in a good number of forms, I've done little of the above. I believe the mark of a true professional is to be able to make adjustments on the fly. Anyone who knows me knows I don't respond well to sudden change (OK, change. Period.) This will be a "baptism by fire", and I am equal to the challenge.



The Torch
runs on propane-no regulator
(these guys do amazing work with it)


There is supposed to be a show of sorts at some American installation on Friday. Again, the details and the level of involvement by our trainees has changed daily. This is supposed to be a much needed opportunity to reach the desired market of military, contractor and ex-pat buyers. A report on this later...


Jim and our Translators
Rasoul and Fazel






I have, this week, extended my time into September. Ramazan is half over, time grows short and some trainees have asked for extended studio hours. I am ever-optimistic to get in all I can in terms of training shared. I WILL be home in time for Fall Parks and Rec.

So, enjoy the pics of the facility and some of the people involved.

Still to come: Success in the Training and Scenes of Kabul

No comments:

Post a Comment